The Umstead Hotel and Spa is committed to our environment. Below is a list of sustainability initiatives currently in practice.
- All guestrooms and suites feature Interel in room controls, an energy management tool.
- We partner with 14 local farms to provide the food products for Herons’ seasonal menus.
- A small garden on our hotel grounds produces fresh herbs for use throughout our food and beverage outlets.
- We farm an acre of land entitled One Oak Farm which is located less than one mile from the hotel grounds and produces fresh vegetables for use throughout our food and beverage outlets. View what we are growing here.
- Food scraps are composted in a joint initiative with SAS Institute.
- An in-room recycling program collects paper and plastic recyclables.
- Unused or leftover portions of guest room soaps, shampoos, conditioners and body wash are donated to Clean the World Foundation.
- Complimentary valet parking for all hybrid vehicles
- Electric vehicle charging stations
- Recycling program for paper, cardboard, glass, plastic, batteries and paint
- The Umstead Spa features eight organic treatments.
- UV film on our lakeside accommodation windows reduces 70% of UV rays, which further lowers our heating and cooling needs.
- Light motion sensors and light switches have been installed in employee areas.
- Outdoor heated pool is closed from December through March to further reduce gas and electrical consumption.
- Complimentary bicycles are available for guest use.
- A commitment to ongoing maintenance of our three-acre lake, which features a restored stream, turtle nesting areas, butterfly garden and fountains that circulate the water for optimal plant and animal health